Tuesday, May 25, 2010

new admiration for The End

As many of you know, I've been a LOST fan since the very beginning. And as many of you also know, the show just ended this past Sunday night. I didn't have a good feeling about the end episode to begin with, but I've since changed my mind. I felt the goofy, universalist idea put forth by the chapel with every possible faith symbol in the stained glass was wrong or the easy way out. I already knew that the flash sideways was a type of purgatory, especially by this last show. And like my favorite CS Lewis novel, The Great Divorce, I thought the ideas that persons could choose Heaven but if they remained in purgatory it was Hell. I believe the Island and all that went on it was real and I loved the idea that flawed human beings can do valiantly unselfish things, like Jack did by returning things to normal before his own wonderfully recorded death. I pray my own ending will be as good, cause don't most of us want to do something that really matters in this life?
Cheesy comparisons to the old Ray Boltz song aside (boy didn't that turn out bad?), I think most of us want to know we made a difference in the world. And I think that's why I changed my mind about The End. No, it didn't tie all the loose ends together. But I think it made me realize how much every person was created for an amazing drama, and if two completely non-Christian guys (as far as I know) could write such an amazing Christian allegory, then I must have a lot to talk to non-believers about.
Oh and I got some of my ideas from this guy. Hope the show is still growing on you.

No comments:

Post a Comment